Friday, January 27, 2012

The Aftermath

I sit here tonight stunned.  There are no words to express my feelings.  Earlier tonight I got word of a terrible situation near Mobile, AL.  Hundreds of dogs and cats at a rescue/boarding facility left starving to death while the owners took off and CLAIM they left an employee in charge of the animals care.  At least 50 are already dead.  Some will probably not make it through the night.  They have gone over 10 days with no food or water and not because there was none.  As they sat and starved, to the point of some turning on and eating each other, they could glimpse full bowls of food right outside their kennels....just out of reach.  I have been told by rescue friends working the situation first hand that the scene there was worse than anything shown on the news stories about this.  Now, already overwhelmed and underfunded rescues will step up to help the dogs these monsters left to die.

I just can't seem to understand.  It is beyond my comprehension how a facility with so many people in and out didn't have anyone notice the problem sooner.  How do you just walk away?

I of course have reached out to our fellow rescuers in Mobile and offered them the help of RRR in any way we can.  We already have a transport arranged there for this weekend and some of these dogs may replace others who needed us as their need is more urgent.  I just can't wrap my head around any of this.  Every day REAL rescuers clean up the messes left by others, and then one of our own (or someone who was supposed to be) does this.  How does that happen?  WHY?

I wish I could be in Alabama right now helping the volunteers, our friends, and rescue groups but I can't so I will have to wait until Sunday to do whatever small part I can, if any.  The situation is overwhelming and chaotic.  I'm watching friends struggle to place their healthy adoptable dogs quickly to make room for the influx of dogs that is surely to come.  Even worse, we fear people who want to help the 'Purple Hearted' dogs but aren't ready for the responsibility will step up too quickly and the dogs will end up in yet again another bad situation.

Sometimes I am asked, and sometimes I ask myself, why I continue in rescue when it seems so overwhelming and so much easier to give up.  THIS is why.  As long as there are those out there without a voice, someone has to stand up and speak for them.  This is also why there are times when I say 'no'.  As heartbreaking as it is to be the last chance or lifeline for a dog, we cannot overwhelm ourselves either or we do no one any good.  Wonderful things are happening at RRR made possible by other rescue groups we work with that are enabling us to save more lives but there is still that line that we must always be aware not to cross.  Thankfully, adoption rates are on the rise and working together with other rescues is proving to be a great thing for all of us.  We are able to save more lives and find more forever homes for the babies in need.

However, what people can't forget, and the reason we need our fans, is because without donations from the public, rescues cease to exist.  No one can support a rescue on their own.  I know that money is tight for many people, I know everyone has their own debts and problems but I say this in the nicest way possible...for all the people who want to see rescues stepping up to help more, to save more lives, to continue the work they do...put your money where your mouth is.  Rescues need funds, they need food, they need supplies.  Even if you have old towels, send them to a rescue in need!  We all can make use of anything we are given.  There is NO GIFT TOO SMALL.  EVEN if it just means clicking a share button to encourage others to help...PLEASE reach out and take a moment.  It DOES save lives!

I look at the faces at RRR every day, the ones others had given up on, the hopeless and lost ones, the unwanted ones, the sick and scared ones...all getting better, all living in peace, all getting ready to find their forever...I can't turn my back on them.  I have given my own time, money, supplies, knowledge, and literally blood, sweat and tears...Rob and I live rescue every day.  THIS is our 'hobby', our 'work', our life.  In light of that, is a dollar, literally $1 too much to ask?  Is an old towel too much to ask?  A bag of food?  I know this sounds awful of me, but it is the truth.  And this isn't just about RRR, this is for ALL the rescues needing support.  This is for everyone like us who gives as much as we do.  This is for every dog that people want saved but no one else will step up for.  THIS is all for the ones without a voice.

With daylight we will know more of the situation for the dogs in Alabama, after 8 am we will know even more.  It is likely we are going to be asked to take some and other rescues are stepping up to help us make this happen.  We have the room, they have the resources but again, none of us are limitless.  We all need your help.  So tomorrow, take a moment to think about it before you buy a soda, a bag of chips, a snack at McDonalds and if you can find it in your heart take that money and instead give it to a rescue you see LIVING their work.  It doesn't matter where they are, or how many they have saved (some can only do a few at a time)....the real rescues are forever greatful for knowing someone has thought of them, someone appreciates their work and someone is helping them to save lives.

Until tomorrow....
*Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment